The Forrest Meeker House and Barn (now The Barn at Stratford) have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register Application
In 1990, the Olentangy River Valley Association formed a project team, chaired by Jean Ball, to prepare an application to register the Meeker Home and Farm in the National Register of Historic Places.
The team researched the history of the property and buildings. They researched Colonel Forrest Meeker, his history and role in the War of 1812. They researched the architecture of the house and barn. They researched the role of the textile mill in the area. Richard Noll took photographs of the house and barn.
They gathered maps of the property today and in early years. From the county courthouse, the 1980 property transfer conveying it from Garth’s Auctions to Tom and Carol Porter. The Porters later donated the property to the Society in a generous gift to preserve it for the community for generations to come.
With the assistance of the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, the sixteen page application plus attachments was completed and submitted. On October 3, 1991, The United States Department of the Interior – National Park Service accepted the property to The National Registry of Historic Places. The accepted application papers were donated to Delaware County Historical Society.
You can learn more about the Forrest Meeker House and Barn on Our Historic Buildings including a history timeline.